Sunday, February 22, 2009

Morgan's Escape from Breken

You may think it's fun to live in a small town, but I couldn't wait to escape. I'd grown up in Breken, long enough to know the community wasn't playing on a steady foundation of justice. The Sheriff had been a real loser when I was in high school. His escapades with a local teenager were well known, though never publicized. Somehow the community always overlooked his failures.

The Mayor at the same time had kleptomaniac tendencies and spent her days at the book store where I worked. The owner was a generous lady who figured since she was a good mayor in most respects, she'd just let it go --- at least those times she didn't catch her and ask for the merchandise back. She never took anything big, just twenty cent bookmarks and ribbons.

I'm Morgan Ruskin, the oldest of The Ruskin Family Sleuths. I started this gig on the fly and I still avoid the drama and just rush in at the last moment, barely in time to save the day. Although, I have been known to come home in the middle of an investigation and kick start the process. I'm a meddling kind of person, so I suppose that's why I get involved.

After four years of playing explorer cadet with the local police department, there wasn't much I didn't know about the community residents. And I didn't like many of them at all, including many of the officers on the force. I chanced the run and left home for college. Living in the dorms was bound to be better than my one-horse hometown with skeletons and secrets in every closet.

Little did I know, I'd have a lot of growing up to do over those next four years. Life would change and I would grow up, but seriously, Breken changed too. When my brothers happened on their first adventure, I thought it was going to be all fun and games, just show up, save the day, and rush back to the big city to brag to all my friends about my great weekend sleuthing adventure. Casualty number one was my trip back to Breken. I became embroiled in The Ruskin Adventures. A daring member of the crime fighting family, willing to risk it all for the cause of justice, at least until I knew enough about law to get myself and the rest of the family out of the neck of danger just in time and save the day.

My daring mother, the wanna be reporter turned author, captured the interest of the Nation with her crime fighting articles. My brothers sleuthed into any minor mystery they found, and Emily simply held them all together, being whisked away by the tide now and then. All together we formed a tight family unit, and I'll tell you, nothing gets past The Ruskin Sleuths in The Ruskin Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment